Sunday, October 12, 2008

Super Hero Saturday

Somehow I've gotten the wrong idea about weekends. I've always envisioned weekends as a time to obtain a much needed break from the grueling work/school week, a time for tackling those occasional larger projects, and a time for fitting in some much needed rest and relaxation. Obviously, I'm not a member of the Cheaper by the Baker's Dozen Family, where they believe in Working on Saturdays!!!

In reality, my typical Saturday is packed so full that it requires the strength and endurance of some kind of super hero just to survive it!

Take this Saturday for example -- even though we were out late the night before, I was in the shower by 6:30 and out the door by 7:30 am, taking my son, Josh, to work at the YMCA. Before anyone else even realized I was gone, I had picked up a few items at the grocery store and come home and made a big breakfast for everyone -- homemade biscuits, eggs, and sausage. (I wish I had a picture of those mouth-watering biscuits!! You'll just have to do the old-fashioned thing and imagine them!) This breakfast was greeted with great enthusiasm by my husband and my big hungry boys. :)

After breakfast, the fellas devoured the daily newspaper, while I tackled the mess in the kitchen and sent the younger children to clean up their rooms.

Then my husband rounded up the shaggy-haired boys and took them to the barber for haircuts, while my oldest daughter, Tiffany, grabbed up the sales ads and left for some "retail therapy." While relishing the relative peace and quiet, I directed the remaining children at home to tackle their chores. Then, I rotated between answering emails, dividing and dubbing some BJ HomeSat classes onto DVDs, changing over the washer and dryer, folding laundry, and working on a SAMS list.

By then it was lunch time and I made up some bean burritos and set out the tortilla chips and salsa for my hungry crew.

After eating lunch, my husband took my son Josh golfing, so they could spend some quality, father-son time together! The other boys were watching football or playing with legos, and Bethany was resting on my bed, so Tiffany and Hannah and I "sneaked away" to Zaxby's for a special girl time (Tiffany's treat!) and then headed to SAMS, where we loaded up a shopping cart with enough food to feed our army for at least a day or two! :)

We got home about 3:30 and unloaded the groceries and put them away. Then, Tiffany helped Hannah sort through her closet and drawers, while I made some Terriyaki Meatballs and rice and put the meatballs in the crockpot to stay warm for supper.

Finally, about 5:00, with supper underway, the girls and I went to Kohl's to try to find some clothes for poor Hannah, who literally has Nothing to wear! Her body has grown and changed so much lately, that we knew we would have to abandon the Girls Department and branch out to the Junior Department, a change in course I did not relish. However, I must admit that I was not sorry to say Good-Bye to the Girls size 7-14 department, which I think has the absolute worst selection of decent looking, even semi-attractive, half-way modest clothing in every clothing store. However, I still approached the Junior Department with great reluctance, doubting it would be any better.

Despite my skepticism that we would find Hannah Anything Acceptable -- I was pleasantly surprised, and didn't even mind eating my words! We found her two nice skirts On Sale in the misses department - a size 4 black skirt, and a size 6 denim skirt, that formed the basis of her new wardrobe. Then, we found several shirts and little sweaters on the clearance rack in the Junior department to complete her new look. I was so grateful to find the poor girl some clothes that fit her changing body! New shoes are the next order of business -- but they will have to wait until next weekend -- or maybe next pay check!!

Hannah's new clothes . . .

Finally, at 7 pm, we dragged home, exhausted, and thankful that supper was in the crock pot and that we had set the table before we left! My husband had made the vegetables, so we were soon sitting down to a nice family dinner in the dining room.

Then, while the boys cleaned up the kitchen, Tiffany started tackling some housecleaning chores and I started making Chocolate Trifle for Sunday's Church Dinner. Everything went pretty smoothly, if you don't count the glass that got knocked off the counter and shattered all over the kitchen floor! :(

Tiffany cleaning . . .

Finally, at 10:30 pm, the trifle was made and chilling in the fridge, the kitchen was cleaned, the wood floors all mopped, the children in bed, and I could call it a day. Whew!


bekahcubed said...

Oh my--that's what I call a full day!

Jules said...

I'm tired just reading about your day. I would've crashed from exhaustion hours earlier! LOL

Jonatas said...

Your energy tires me out, yet it inspires me at the same time. I only have 2 teenagers, a husband and a dog, besides household, ministry and business. Love, Neide (from Brazil)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...