Thursday, February 16, 2012
What to Do With Overripe Bananas
1. Make Double Chocolate Banana Bread.
2. Make Banana Cream Bread.
3. Make a Green Smoothie.
4. Put in a ziploc bag and freeze for later use.
5. Or try this delicious recipe, which I made today. It is adapted from The Taste of Home Cookbook:
Banana Chip Bread
1/2 cup butter or coconut oil, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 medium bananas, mashed
1 cup sour cream
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (you can substitute half with whole wheat)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 bag white or semi-sweet chocolate morsels
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
2. Stir in bananas and sour cream.
3. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Stir into banana mixture just until moistened.
4. Fold in chocolate chips and optional nuts.
5. Transfer to 2 medium greased loaf pans. (I made one medium loaf and 4 mini-loaves.) Bake at 350 F for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. (I baked the mini loaves for 45 minutes.) Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
Note to my sister: Don't worry -- I didn't use the nuts! No reason to fear for Amber's life! :)