When I was a girl, I loved reading!!! I loved to curl up on my bed or in my bean bag chair and read by the hour! (My bean bag was royal blue and looked just like the one in the Amazon link!)
I loved to read about girls like me and family life. One of my favorite series was The Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder!
My oldest daughters and my oldest son were avid readers! Hannah is also a voracious reader, but many of the younger children have not been drawn to reading like the older children were. I think it is partly because they have way more access to TV, computer games and X-box, friends, and social media.
To encourage the "Fantastic Five" to learn to enjoy the pleasure of a good book, I have signed them all up for the JourneyForth Summer Reading program. You can learn more about it here:
Join JourneyForth’s Summer Reading Program!
Make reading a part of your summer! Explore new places, meet new people, and experience amazing adventures—all while sitting in a lawn chair or on your couch at home!
Plus, you can win great prizes!
How the Summer Reading Program works
There are 3 different age groups. Each group has age-appropriate reading requirements and a suggested summer reading list.
- Sign up for JourneyForth's Summer Reading program!
- Check out the reading requirements and the suggested summer reading list for your age group.
- Download reading logs for tracking your progress, and choose a daily reading goal appropriate for your age category.
- Meet your reading goal 5 days a week for an eight-week period between May 15 and August 15. Then submit the completion form (available July 16) here on the Summer Reading program website.
- Once you submit your completion form, you will receive a free flying disc* and are eligible for the prize drawings!
What are the prizes?
There are nine Summer Reading tote bags full of free JourneyForth books up for grabs—3 for each age group.
And the grand prize—a brand new Kindle Fire™!
With the Kindle Fire™, you can carry your books with you all the time and download new ebooks whenever you want.
Sign up today! Happy Reading!
Hannah smelling a book before she reads it! :)
I want to emphasize that your children can read any book you want them to read -- they don't have to adhere to the Recommended Reading List. Nevertheless, if you need ideas, these reading lists are a good place to start:
Suggested Reading List for ages 4-8
Suggested Reading List for ages 9-12
Suggested Reading List for ages 13-17
Please leave me a comment and let me know if you are signing up your children for this or some other summer reading program. Also, please suggest some of your family's favorite books!
linked up with: