If you have a sweet tooth, today is the day you've been anticipating! Today is the day we reveal delicious dessert recipes suitable for your 4th of July or any other summer celebration! I considered all kinds of red, white and blue recipes and decided to just "go green." Key Lime anyone??
Key Lime Pound Cake*
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup coconut oil
3 cups sugar
6 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lime zest
1/4 cup Key lime juice
1 cup powdered sugar
2 TBSP fresh Key lime juice
1/2 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Beat butter and coconut oil at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
3. Stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating at low speed until blended. Stir in vanilla, lime juice and lime jest.
4. Pour batter into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan or bundt pan. Bake at 325 degrees for about 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 to 15 minutes before removing from pan.
5. Prepare Key lime glaze and immediately pour over top and sides of cake. Cool about 1 hour.
Key Lime Glaze
Whisk together 1 cup powdered sugar, 2 TBSP fresh Key lime juice, and 1/2 tsp vanilla until smooth. Use immediately.
This cake is moist and delicious, and not too sweet!
*recipe adapted from Southern Living, March 2011