I recently made a classic Southern meal that included purple speckled butter beans and cornbread! My family is usually not that fond of cornbread, which tends to be dry and crumbly, but this was The Best Cornbread I've ever made! They gobbled it down and begged for more! So, I thought you might like to give this recipe a try!
Best Ever Buttery Cornbread
2/3 cup butter (11 TBSP) (plus a couple more TBSP for bottom of baking pan)
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup milk
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1. Put 4 pats of butter in 9x13 baking pan and place in oven while oven pre-heats to 400 F. Keep an eye on this -- if it melts before you are done mixing up the batter, you may have to take it out so it doesn't burn.
2. Cream butter and sugar in mixing bowl until light and fluffy. While this is creaming, mix up the rest of the ingredients.
3. Combine eggs and milk in a small bowl; set aside.
4. Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt in another small bowl; set aside.
5. Add flour mixture alternately with milk mixture into butter and sugar and mix well, scraping the bowl as needed.
5. Pour batter into greased 9x13" baking pan. Bake at 400 degrees F for 22- 25 minutes, or until golden-brown.
Serve warm with plenty of butter! :)