Today I'm thinking about young love! Isn't it beautiful to behold? What if we were able to recapture some of the excitement and thrill from when we first fell in love and infuse that into our marriages twenty, thirty or forty years down the road?!? What would that look like?
I think couples tend to settle into a rut as they attempt to steer their marriages through the churning waters of too-much-to-do-and-never-enough-time-or-money, on their way to reach the elusive shore of "The American Dream," while navigating the overwhelming storms of life, bailing out water now and again, and just trying to stay afloat. However, too many years spent in "survival mode" can take its toll on both the health of our bodies and the health of our marriages. Eventually, we reach a point of crisis and drastic changes must be made.
The above scenario is quite common. Is it possible to avoid such a scenario? What do you think?
Have you ever thought about the characteristics of young couples in love?
- They can never see enough of each other!
- They never tire of talking together -- on the phone, in person, via text, chat, Skype, etc!
- They love to spend time together doing fun things . . . or just hanging out!
- They love to gaze into each other's eyes!
- They love to surprise each other and give gifts!
- They love to talk about their plans and share their dreams for the future.
- They can't stand to be apart and eagerly plan for the next time they can be together!
- They think about the other one all day long!
What can you add to the list?
Do you think the above characteristics describe the average couple who has been married for 10, 20, 30 or more years? Why or why not?
I'd love to exchange ideas on how married couples can keep the excitement and enthusiasm from their courtship, engagement and early married life as the years go by. Do you have any thoughts on this? Are you and your husband just as lovey-dovey now as when you first fell in love? Is your love somewhat tarnished by the trials of life?
Your Turn to Share:
Please share your ideas for keeping the excitement and enthusiasm of young love present in your marriage as the years go by. I'd love to hear your suggestions! Please share so we might all be encouraged!
If you were blessed or encouraged by this post, please consider sharing it with your friends on Facebook or other social media sites. Thank you!
I'd love to have you link up your blog to mine! Please link up any past or present posts related to Christian marriage. Don't forget to link back to my blog! Thanks!