As I mentioned last week, one thing that characterizes a young couple in love is their burning desire to spend every possible moment together. And when they can't be together in person, they are constantly talking on the phone, Skyping, or texting!
I think that young marrieds continue to want to spend as much time together as they can, but most couples eventually find that this valuable time together is displaced by "business and babies." Gradually and inadvertently, couples can grow apart, as the demands on their time and physical and emotional energy increase exponentially during the years they are building their careers and raising their families.
In one respect, I think this is inevitable. I doubt it is possible to maintain the intensity that is present in a young couple's relationship. It is a fact of life that there will be a season of busyness for most couples that is dominated by the building of career(s), the pursuit of additional education or degrees, and the birth of babies and all that is involved in rearing children and managing a home. However, to avoid becoming part of the sobering divorce statistics, every couple needs a strategy for maintaining closeness and vitality in their relationship as they navigate the busy years.
So, today I want to discuss ways to love our husbands by spending time together even in the busy years of building businesses and babies! Here are a few ideas I thought of, and I'd love to have you add to the list!
1. Read the Word and pray together daily.
2. Maintain a regular date night, preferably once a week, but at least every other week.
3. Connect every day through a morning coffee time or an evening recap of the day.
4. Go to bed at the same time most nights and snuggle and talk over your day.
5. Meet for lunch once a week, if possible. If not, make a habit of having a quick phone check-in during the lunch hour.
6. Run errands together in the evenings or on weekends.
7. Find a hobby or sport or activity to enjoy doing together.
8. Learn to enjoy watching sports on TV with your husband, IF that is something he enjoys. Or at least learn to sit near him while reading, doing needlework, working on lesson plans, blogging, etc.
9. Take after-dinner walks together or exercise together.
10. Accompany your husband on business trips when possible.
What can you add to the list? Let's keep this list going in the Comments or on Facebook!
Check back tomorrow to read about #10 -- my weekend away with my husband! :)
Your Turn to Share:
Please share the ways that you and your husband carve out moments in your busy schedules to spend time together. What changes have you made to your lifesyle in order to insure that you are communicating and spending time together on a regular basis? When you are away from one another, how do you use technology to stay connected? Please share so we might all be encouraged!
If you were blessed or encouraged by this post, please consider sharing it with your friends on Facebook or other social media sites. Thank you!
I'd love to have you link up your blog to mine! Please link up any past or present posts related to Christian marriage. Don't forget to link back to my blog! Thanks!