This week I want to talk about how we can love our husbands by encouraging them!
My husband tends to be naturally more melancholy and pessimistic than I am. I'm definitely more of an optimist. However, at times I can be unrealistically optimistic, so he brings me back to earth! ;) And when he is sounding too much like Eeyore, I encourage him to look at things from a brighter perspective. As you can see, we balance each other out perfectly! ;) (Which, by the way, is exactly how God intended marriage to work!)
Regardless of whether we are naturally optimistic or not, one aspect of loving our husbands is to encourage them when they need it. Whether they are uncertain of their abilities, feeling beaten down and trampled on by the world, overcome by their failures, or just generally discouraged by the trials of life, it is both our responsibility and privilege to come along side of them and encourage them! Here are some simple ways to do just that.
Ten Ways to Encourage Your Husband:
1. Write an encouraging note and put it in his lunchbag, briefcase or car where he will find it. Or send him an encouraging email or text.
2. Listen attentively to his problems and offer sympathy or perhaps a few gentle suggestions, if he seems receptive to that.
3. Encourage him to look for the good in every situation, reminding him to trust God to redeem even the worst situation and to bring good out of it. (Romans 8:28)
4. Affirm him and make sure he knows that you believe in him!
5. Remind of him of his positive attributes, strengths and abilities and express confidence in his ability to handle a difficult situation or to make a wise decision.
6. If he is discouraged because he is overwhelmed, stressed, or has too many demands on his time and energy, look for ways you or the children might be able to lighten his load by helping him with some of his chores, such as doing the yard work or running some errands, perhaps. (Yes, even if you are overwhelmed by your own work load!)
7. If he is discouraged about finances or a job loss, refrain from complaining about a lack of resources. Instead look for creative ways to make do.
8. Pray for him and with him.
9. Share encouraging Scripture verses or devotionals (like ones from my favorite devotional - Jesus Calling!!) with him. Encourage him to keep his eyes on Jesus!
10. Smile and stay upbeat and positive in his presence, even if you are struggling with discouragement yourself! (Let that be your little secret!) :)
These are a few of the ways I've encouraged my husband through the years. I'd love to hear other strategies that you have used to encourage and build up your husband!
While I know that the above ideas are helpful for encouraging your husband if he is struggling with discouragement, I also know that some of you may be facing a more serious situation. Perhaps your husband is beyond discouraged; he is drowning in a deep depression that is affecting your family life and his ability to work. What then? How do you help your husband when he is seriously depressed? Make sure you come back next week, as I share some insigts from someone very dear to me on how to love your husband through depression.
Your Turn to Share:
Please share some of the ways that you encourage your husband when he is discouraged. Or perhaps you are the one who has struggled most with discouragement and he has encouraged you. Feel free to share practical ways that your husband has encouraged you! Please share so we might all be encouraged!
If you were blessed or encouraged by this post, please consider sharing it with your friends on Facebook or other social media sites. Thank you!
I'd love to have you link up your blog to mine! Please link up any past or present posts related to Christian marriage. Don't forget to link back to my blog! Thanks!