Zuppa Toscana (Inspired by The Olive Garden)
2 pounds Italian sausage
1/2 pound bacon
4 large Russet potatoes, cubed
1 to 2 large onions, chopped
3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups kale, chopped
4 to 6 cups chicken stock/broth
2 cups water
2 cups heavy whipping cream or half and half
1. Cook bacon in large dutch oven. Remove and crumble; save drippings.
2. Remove Italian sausage from casings. Brown in bacon drippings, crumbling as it cooks.
3. When sausage is almost done, add chopped onions and minced garlic; sauteing in the drippings. (Drain excess grease if need be.)
4. Add chicken broth and water and bring to a boil.
5. Add chopped potatoes.
6. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender.
7. Stir in bacon, chopped kale and salt and pepper to taste.
8. Simmer on low heat until ready to serve. Then add cream or half and half and heat gently for about 5 minutes.
9. Serve with parmesan cheese, a big salad and some crusty bread!
This recipe was a big hit with my family! They are already begging me to make more!