Recently, I introduced a new series for wives (and future wives) based on the ideal wife of Proverbs 31. Two weeks ago, we started this journey together by exploring the incredible value of this virtuous woman. Last week, I was visiting with my Mom and Dad and took an unplanned blogging break, but I'm glad to be back with you today learning from this amazing woman of the Bible!
Please join me each Monday for the next 20 weeks as we examine the character and wisdom of this noble woman and learn how we can each become a Model P31!
The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have
no need of spoil. ~ Proverbs 31:11
no need of spoil. ~ Proverbs 31:11
What a beautiful picture this is! This woman is so trustworthy that her husband's mind and heart are totally at rest. He can safely trust his wife to conduct herself with wisdom and discretion, and he is assured that she has his best interests in mind! The excellent wife has earned her husband's complete trust through her wise handling of the daily affairs of life. From daily duties, such as getting meals on the table or making sure he has clean underwear, to major decisions and purchases, this woman demonstrates her loyalty to her husband and children and her ability to act with wisdom and prudence.
"Our calling as God's women is to live life in such a solid way that our husband never worries or wonders about our character or our management of our home, our finances, or our time." ~ Elizabeth George, Beautiful in God's Eyes.
A Model P31 demonstrates loyalty, faithfulness, trustworthiness, responsibility, thriftiness, wisdom, and discretion.
If you are a wife, evaluate your life and ask yourself if you husband is at rest, able to safely trust in you in the following areas:
1. Money - Can your husband safely trust you to wisely spend money, to stay on budget, to be thrifty and to use resources wisely? Or do you overspend and hide purchases from your husband? Do you purpose to live within your means, or do you run up credit card debt?
2. Children - Can your husband rest in the fact that you are attentive to the needs of your children and raising them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord? Or does he have to worry that you've set them in front of the TV so you can take a nap or do your own thing?
3. Home - Is your husband able to rest in the fact that he will have clean laundry and a meal to eat when he gets home from work? Is he confident that your house will be reasonably clean and orderly? Or is your home so chaotic that no one wants to be there?
4. Reputation - Is your husband's heart at rest knowing that his reputation is safe with you, because you will do him good and not evil all the days of your life? Or does he have to worry about where you are going, what you are doing, and what you are saying about him to your friends?
5. Purity - Can your husband trust that you are keeping your mind, heart, and body pure and the marriage bed undefiled? Or does he have to worry about the trash you might be reading or watching? (Fifty Shades of Grey perhaps?) Is he confident of your faithfulness to your marriage vows, or does your flirtatious manner make him worry about your loyalty to him?
Especially for Single P31s:
If you are an unmarried woman, you can still evaluate yourself in these same areas. You may not realize this, but becoming a wife does not suddenly transform your character! How you manage yourself now reflects how you will manage yourself when you are married!
1. Money - how do you handle your own financial resources or those that your father has entrusted you with? Do you spend money wisely and carefully manage your resources or are you extravagant and wasteful?
2. Children - how do you treat your siblings or other children in your life? Do you treat them with disdain or do you consider them worthy of time and investment?
3. Home - how do you manage your apartment, house or bedroom? Do you keep it reasonably clean and neat or is it a pigpen? Do you demonstrate respect for your property and the property of others?
4. Reputation - Do you guard your reputation and the reputation of your earthly parents and your heavenly Father through prudent choices and wise living? Do you avoid even the appearances of evil?
5. Purity - Do you keep your mind, heart and body pure, saving yourself for your future husband? Or do you "wallow in the mud with the pigs" and wonder why no worthwhile man seems interested in you?
These are just a few areas that deserve your attention, if you are aspiring to be a Model P31!
Project P31, Mission #2:
Our mission for this week to examine our character and conduct and determine if we are trustworthy in every area of our lives. Can others trust you to be a woman of your word? Can they trust you to fulfill your responsibilities? Can you be trusted to govern yourself and live wisely in this age of "anything goes"? What areas do you need to work on as you strive to be a Model P31 who is worthy of trust?
Your Turn to Share:
I hope you'll take time to complete your mission for this week and share your thoughts here! Please leave a comment here on my blog or over on my Facebook page, so we might all be encouraged! You may also email me at email@example.com if you wish to share a private testimony or a guest post.
If you were blessed or encouraged by this post, please consider sharing it with your friends on Facebook or other social media sites. Thank you!
I'd love to have you link up your blog to mine! Please link up any past or present posts related to Christian marriage. Don't forget to link back to my blog! Thanks!
NOTE: Please link up your blog post on marriage below by entering the url of your specific post. Where it says "Your Name" enter the title of your blog post, not your personal name! Thanks!